Beckoning Blood by Daniel de Lorne‏


Daniel de Lorne writes mostly about the loves and trials of hot and sexy paranormal men – and creatures.

He grew up in Perth, Western Australia, and developed a fascination for the mythical and magical early on. Daniel wrote stories from a young age but it was high school biology class he remembers fondly as providing an excellent cover for writing stories that were filled with teen angst and fantastical creatures.

From there it was just a short jump to creative writing in university, where Daniel really indulged his love for the gothic, particularly the vampiric. And plenty of essays on the topic gave it all an air of respectability.

After university he used his skills for good. He wrote about wildlife conservation for eight years before taking a break to explore Canada with his partner. It was while in this great northern frontier that Escape Publishing accepted his first book, Beckoning Blood, for publication.

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Google+
Goodreads


A gripping, blood‐drenched saga about twin brothers, the men they love, and the enduring truth that true love never dies — no matter how many times you kill it.

Thierry d’Arjou has but one escape from the daily misery of his work at a medieval abattoir — Etienne de Balthas. But keeping their love a secret triggers a bloody chain of events that condemns Thierry to a monstrous immortality. Thierry quickly learns that to survive his timeless exile, he must hide his sensitive heart from the man who both eases and ensures his loneliness...his twin brother.

Shaped by the fists of a brutal father, Olivier d’Arjou cares for only two things: his own pleasure and his twin. But their sadistic path through centuries is littered with old rivals and new foes, and Olivier must fight for what is rightfully his – Thierry, made immortal just for him.


Q) What inspired you to write this story?
I can’t remember what finally made me to write this story down but the original inspiration was from a short story I wrote in university. There were these twinky twin vampire brothers who were really into each other. They were only minor characters but something about their personalities hooked into me. Later, when I took part in NaNoWriMo, they rose as my first option to write about. I had to change them a bit, create a bit more conflict between them if they were going to be my main characters, but once I did that, I was ready to go.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
I wrote the first draft over two months, reaching my NaNoWriMo target of 50,000 words in 30 days and continuing on through December 2009. I then edited it over a couple of months…and then it sat there, not doing anything. After a request from a publisher, I polished the first three chapters but didn’t get around to the rest until nearly a year later due to family health problems. When I did get back on to it, I rewrote the final third, polished it all up and sent it out to more publishers. Escape Publishing accepted it in late 2013 and it’s been published this month. All up, from first draft to publication, it’s been about four and a half years.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
I’m a pantser so apart from a few general plot points and an impression of how I want the story to feel, I don’t know the ins and outs of the book until I’m writing it. Despite my write-as-it-comes approach, I absolutely love it when random things I include at the beginning of the book turn out to be extremely important later on, all without conscious thought. That always makes me smile.

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing?
That first drafts are never perfect. I’d love to be able to write once and it comes out great. I’m sure every writer has wished for that but it’s not going to happen though.

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
Tom Hiddleston. Suave, sophisticated, dashing, intelligent, charming and looks like a lot of fun without being arrogant.

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
An opened packet of pitted dates, probably about 6 months old. I bought them to make a cake and didn’t need all of them. I rediscovered them the other day (after I’d bought some other dates). They’re still good.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
Hopefully a load more books. Next I’m working on the sequel to Beckoning Blood and once that’s done, I’ll edit another couple of books I’ve written, meanwhile trying to write a new book. So many things to write about…
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)