Finding Motivation

Recently, I was sick for about a week. I stayed home for 2 days, but then didn't have any other sick time, so I slogged my butt to work. I didn't get any writing done at that time, as I'm sure you can imagine.

I'm starting to feel better now, and am trying to work writing back into my schedule, but I don't have the motivation. My schedule has been messed up so bad, I think, "Why bother?" But I have to bother. I have deadlines and contracts.

To get over my lethargy, I force myself to put something down on paper. It kind of sounds torturous, and some nights it can be, but at least I have something to go back and edit later. Even if it's crap, I have something to work with. Last night, I worked on an outline for chapter 1 of my nonfiction book. Was it much? Not really. But today when I go to work, I have a general idea of where to begin. It's better than starting at square 1.

I've found that going back to a notebook and pen has helped immensely. I'm not tied to the computer, and if the kids need something, I'm right there to help. Plus, I can do it anywhere. There is more freedom with a laptop, but hauling one to swim lessons is a pain. Pen and paper, easy.

Getting back on task, especially after major setbacks, can be difficult, but has to be done. What kinds of things do you do to find your motivation?

(Do you see how easy I'm making this for you to leave comments? I know you want to win one of my prizes...)
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)