Reader?

I love to read. I spend the majority of my day reading, whether its blogs, the news, reports I'm editing, stories (mine or other people's), or novels for book club/enjoyment.

As an author, I like to talk to others about their reading habits. You never know when you'll find a potential fan/reader. More than you'd think, people give me excuses of why they don't read. I've compiled a list of some of my favorites.

1. I'm a slow reader.
Compared to what? Is there some test out there that times how long it takes you to read a certain book and then compares it to every other person whose ever read that book? I didn't know there was some unspoken race on how fast you need to get through a book. I must be a slow reader, too, because I've never won a prize for finishing a book quickly. Just enjoy it! Who cares how long it takes?

2. Reading makes me fall asleep.
Reading is supposed to be relaxing. However, if you find yourself constantly falling asleep when you pick up a book, A) you might have a medical condition or B) you might be reading something boring. Try something new. There has been many a times when I've been exhausted, ready to drop where I stand, but I decide to pick up a book, let my mind relax, and I get sucked in. I tell myself, "One more chapter," and then 2 hours have gone by. If you've never experienced this, you need to expand your horizons. Have you been in a book store? There are thousands of stories to choose from. Pick something you'd never think you'd enjoy. If you still find yourself falling asleep, make a doctor's appointment.

3. I don't have time.
This one I actually take as a real excuse. There have been many moments in my life when I barely had time to blow my nose let alone pick up a book, so I sympathize.

In the end, what it boils down to, is I think these people just don't like to read. And that's fine. There are plenty of things out there that I don't like to do, so I don't do them. You don't have to make up excuses (not for me anyway), you can just tell me that you don't like to read, and I'll quit pedaling my wares to you.

Have you heard any good excuses of why people don't read?
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)