Movie Review Monday

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010)


If you haven't brushed up on your Greek Mythology, you might want to do a quick overview, although it's not that important to understanding the movie. The film is pretty good about the history lesson, but it kind of glosses over the subtleties. This movie was fun. I was expecting a light-hearted, YA adventure story, and that's what I got. The creatures weren't too scary, so my 3 year old was able to watch it with me. The computer generate graphics were very cool, and the casting was spot on. Uma Thurman as Medusa was great, and I love Kevin McKidd, so having him as Poseidon was great. My favorite character was Persephone, she was hilarious! Perfect characterization of an unhappy wife. Hades was entertaining, too.


The story had some issues, such as timing, but it worked in the constraints of the film, and why it was OK for Athena to talk to her daughter but Poseidon had to ask permission. We are reading the book for book club, so it will be interesting to compare and contrast. I know, I know, you can't really do that, but I will be trying to figure out why the screen writer decided to focus on certain elements and what I would have changed. It should be fun.


The whole absent parent thing was very interesting. This notion has been done in many, many stories before (Harry Potter) and it seems to be that as long as one of your parents is a god or a powerful wizard, you'll turn out all right. It also explains all your emotional issues and learning problems. Heck, it's fantasy, why not? Kids always pretend that are more than they; it's the beauty of imagination, but then the crushing weight of reality sets in. That's what nice about this story (and with Harry Potter), reality doesn't have to crush Percy's dreams.

I'm sure I could talk more about the film, but I'm struggling today. I didn't sleep very well, again, and I have a HUGE headache. Any thoughts about the film from you?
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)